Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The future of my family

I spoke with Zach's social worker this morning. He's not coming home. They've extended his stay at the Bridge home until the end of July and from there he's either going to a group home or specialized foster care. I prefer a group home and I'd really like to see him stay in our town now that we have a good school placement for him.

He's going to be devastated. He was so counting on coming home this weekend. He's going to be blown away. I think I should go out there and tell him in person. At least then I can be there to hug him and wipe away the tears that are bound to come. He thinks he's tough but sometimes he's just my little boy, looking at me with those big blue eyes, wanting me to make everything ok again. Only I can't this time. It's out of my hands.

My heart is breaking for him and I'm relieved at the same time. Being only 2 weeks out from major surgery, I was not looking forward to having to worry about him all the time again. Even when he's here for an afternoon visit, I am so worried when he heads out with friends. I don't trust him to make good choices. This will be a good lesson for him at least.

No comments: