Saturday, July 22, 2006

My progress . . .

I went to the post-op support group on Thursday. It was only my second official weigh in since the surgery. In 24 days, I've lost 25 pounds. I can't believe how wonderful this feels. The weight is just melting away. I am still learning to eat in a new way but it's such a small inconvenience compared to living with an extra 100 pounds or so. I am so looking forward to having my healthy body back. I can't wait to clothes shop again without guilt and fear. I yearn for the choices that will be available to me. I am quickly realizing what I left behind when I chose to hide behind all that weight.

I worked in the darkroom yesterday. I haven't done that in a couple months. I ended up printing eight different shots and thought I was all set for the critique coming on Tuesday but then I took one of the prints out of the wash to dry it and found the paper had a yellow block on it. I was too tired to reprint it then. Now I have to go in today or Monday. But I do have my slide show on Dorothea Lange done. Now I need to write a one page biography on her.

I was reading about her this morning. I think she's my new hero. In an age where women were expected to be nothing more than wives and mothers, she set out to create a photography career. She left a bad marriage in the 1930's with two small children and then became one of the best known photographers of the FSA with the help of her true love, Paul Taylor (he became her 2nd husband). She took THE iconic image of the Great Depression, Migrant Mother. Her career lasted until her death. She always took photos. As I contemplate my future education goals, I will keep her example in mind.

2 comments:

Krystin Clark said...

Just finished reading the last few posts... wanted to say hello. Give you a hug like the cuckoo kitty cat in the bowl, positivly tranquil.

Sounds like you've been busy taking action. May your momentum continue, and may you always have a safe place to fall.

With creative wishes and artistic solidarity...

majamom said...

hI kiM
woW! CONGRATS AND MAY YOU HEALTH AND WEIGHT LOSS CONTINUE WONDERFULLY!
XO
MB