Saturday, May 12, 2007

What If . . .

I was listening to a guided meditation and needless to say, my mind wandered every now and then. It wandered to my biological father as the meditation suggested a letting go. The teacher meant allowing tension to be let go in the body but my mind went to emotional encumbrances that I wanted to let go of. I thought of Bill's abandonment of me and how I wished to heal that pain. Later, my mind went to the "what if's" in my life and I thought of writing on those. There are so many. I've spent so much of my life, living in the past, with the "what if's". I choose now to live in today. The "what if's" are such a trap. They are a bludgeoning tool that I have used against myself again and again.

I mean really, the "What if" I had chosen college A instead of college B, or "What if" I had married Him instead of hiM? Do any of us really think we can alter the past? Do we think we can make anything better by replaying our choices, good or bad, over and over again? I think not. I think we are wise enough to "know" that it's a useless activity. And yet, we continue. I wish I knew why. I hope to explore it more so that I can free myself from this time-consuming and painful pasttime. I didn't marry Him - I married hiM. My kids are who they are because of that choice. Would I change it if I could? Doubtful.

No comments: