Thursday, June 29, 2006

The surgery was a success

Well, I didn't die anyway. The true test of its success will be how much weight I lose. This was a toughy. I felt like the Pat's field goal kicker had used my stomach as target practice the first day. I'm moving around pretty well today but sleeping is difficult. I'm used to sleeping on my side but I can't right now because the weight of my skin pulls at the incisions. So it's onto my back and that leads to snoring which wakes me up. I'm hoping that I can get on my side soon.

The hospital experience was a good one. The nurses were attentive and I had my own room. My doctor from the weight program came to see me a couple times and of course, the surgeon. The only complication was a slight fever and I think that was from my nasal congestion due to my allergies. My BP was through the roof but I know that it will get better as the weight comes off. I have to see my primary about it.

One of my nurses had the surgery 10 years ago and looks fabulous. I do hope I can use this tool appropriately and not push the limits. I have wanted to eat but more out of habit, not hunger. It was hard with the hospital serving everyone but me. I got ice chips the first day, water the second, and moved up to Diet Snapple on the third. It'll be a few more days before I can start having pureed foods. Oddly enough, I'm looking forward to it. I can have sugar-free Jello right now so I'm making some for later. It will feel good to have something I almost have to chew. The protein drink I bought is pretty good so I am at least having something tasty.

So, all in all, it's been a fairly good experience to date. I do think I may drop my independent study so I can just concentrate on my recovery but I'm going to wait until next week to make that decision. Thankfully Amy isn't expecting me back at the gallery for a couple weeks.

2 comments:

jodytheartgypsy said...

Congratulations, Kim, on getting your surgery and 'comin' out of it all just fine.....I have been reading your blogs for sometime now, and just noticed you didn't have a lot of 'comments',Your experiences with your son is just hearbreaking sometimes...I have been able to 'identify' with some of your turmoil from time to time...,,,so..even though you don't know me very well I wanted to give you a 'thumbs up' and a pat on the back.

Kim said...

Thanks Jody! I appreciate the support, wherever I find it.

Namaste,
Kim